Sunday, December 14, 2008

Twenty Four Hours of Madness!

Recently John and I were trying to decided whether the kids and I would join him on a trip to a nearby city. Traveling with kids is really not that fun so it has to be worth it. We decided that it would be good for us to go because I was feeling like I needed to get away from my normal routine and even if I had the kids at least we would be doing the same thing in a different place. Little did I know what our travel day had in store for me! So on Wednesday morning ( the travel day) Zeb decides to wake up at 5am and did not go to sleep even though I fed him and left him in his bed till 7am. So for his first morning nap I was confident that it would be a long one. Oh no, it was 20 mins! Then the next two naps he took that day were 20 mins and then a 30 min one. I knew that we were doomed for a fussy child on our trip as we left for the airport. Once it was time to board we realized that no one was calling us to get on the plane. John decides to ask one of the people working about our flight. He proceeds to tell John that there will be at least an hour delay. Upon hearing the news I decided it would be best for John to go back out of security and get us some KFC for dinner because I knew Kayleigh would be hungry. When he returns we realize the cashier had forgotten to put Kayleigh's food in the bag. I was just about to be really upset, because I knew she would not eat what John and I had ordered, when she throws up all over the floor! I guess she hadn't planned on eating anyways! The good news was that most of it landed on the floor but there was some on her shirt. Since Kayleigh is two I don't really think about bringing her an extra pair of clothes when we travel but I do bring Zeb some. So we decided to give Zeb's onies a try. I mean it was better than her smelling really bad the whole time. So sure enough we managed to stretch out the onies enough to get it over Kayleigh's body. Normally, in America I would have been somewhat self conscious of the way my child looked with the snap buttons on the bottom just hanging out but in China I somehow thought they wouldn't think this was too weird. This is the part where I would have loved to have an awesome picture of Kayleigh in Zeb's onies but we had put our camera in the the checked luggage. So after this I was beginning to wonder if this trip was worth it. We finally boarded the plane two hours late! He had plans to stay at some friends apartment while they were away to America. I was excited about it because she has three kids which means she would have all the supplies I needed for my little ones. When we arrived we walked into their apartment to realize that it was freezing cold! Their helper had left some windows open and since it was freezing cold outside that meant it was freezing in their house too! We turned on all the heaters but realized the one in the master bedroom wasn't working. So as John and I slept that night we tried to keep our faces buried in the covers so we would be able to feel our noses in the morning. About 3am we start to hear Zeb screaming. I go to check on him only to realize that his heater isn't working either and that he is freezing. So there was nothing to do but put him in the bed with us to keep him warm. It took about two hours to get him to go back to sleep because he was so tired from the day before. Zeb and I finally fell asleep again around 6 and slept to 8! So was my trip worth it after the twenty four hours of madness? I would still say yes. I got to get out of the house and go to a different city. I was able to hang out with some friends and John and I had a great date night out in a city with great western restaurants. However, I never want to have a day like that again!

No comments:

Post a Comment