Saturday, March 27, 2010

He fixed my dryer with what???

We have lived in East Asia for 6 years and I have seen various things around my house fixed with some unusual stuff. Once my pipes under my sink were leaking. When the fix it man came to my house he asked me if I had any string. I gave him what I had and he preceded to tie the broken pipe to another pipe so it wouldn't leak anymore. Not the most permanent fix if you ask me.

Then there was the time in our old house when our light fixture had one light bulb left working and we were forced to call the fix it man to come change our light bulbs. Every time that we tried to change them only the light bulb part would come out and the base of the light bulb would be stuck in the fixture. When the fix it man arrived he looked at me like "You really called me up here to change your light bulbs?". I just smiled and kept pointing to the light fixture. After having the same problem that we were having he asked me if I had any chop sticks. He some how managed to fix and change all my light bulbs with a pair of chop sticks.

This week however I think the dryer fix it man has won the prize for using the most unusual object. Before I proceed I must mention that my dryer isn't even a year old yet and it is already breaking. Unfortunately, in this country or at least in the city where we live not many people own a dryer so they aren't made very well. The other night when I turned on my dryer it sounded like two pieces of metal were being rubbed together. Not a good sound if you ask me. So I called the dryer fix it man who actually fixed my old dryer more times than I can count. He showed up and when he turned on the dryer it didn't make that noise of course it sounded perfect! I convinced him to still take a look because I did a little demonstration on what kind of sound it was making. He thought that was pretty funny. He spent some time using normal tools and was obviously fixing something. Just when I thought he was finished he asked John for a bar of soap. Yes folks this is not a typo he wanted soap. So I went into my bathroom and got some. I'm not exactly sure how the bar of soap contributed to fixing my dryer but it worked! It sounds great now. I don't think I will ever understand how things in my house get fixed with such unusual things.

No comments:

Post a Comment