Friday, January 15, 2010

Will I ever figure out life here?

John and I are going on our 6th year living in Asia. I would love to say that I have figured this country out and that for the most part things don't surprise me anymore but today I was proven wrong. This morning around 9am our power went out. This is not unusual since we have lost power on several occasions over our past 6 years. One year it was every Friday and we have even had no power on Thanksgiving before. It has just been par for the course as we live here. Today was different however. Upon further investigation we found out that 600 of the residents in our apartment complex have not paid their power bill so the apartment management decided to punish us all by turning our power off today. In order for this story to really make sense I must go back and explain some details. I few months ago the apartment management was accused of embezzling lots of money so the residents/owners got together and voted the management out. Well, the old management refused to leave so the new management that was hired was forced to set up a temporary tent in the middle of our complex. For the past couple of months we have been going to a small tent to pay our bills. John happened to be outside today after hearing the news of why they turned off our power. He discovered a mob of people tearing down the tent and throwing chairs because they were angry that they were being punished for the others not paying their bill. As if matters couldn't get any worse we heard today that if these non-paying residents do not pay their bills this weekend then our power will be off indefinitely until their bills our paid! REALLY! Today our power came back on at 6pm. So does that mean I will not have power every day from 9am till 6pm or does that mean I will not have power at all until these people decide to pay their bill. Why not punish only the ones that haven't paid you ask? I don't know! Is this an all for one, one for all mentality?! So for now I am enjoying my power for the next two days. After that, if the threat is real, I have plans to move the food in my freezer to a friends house that doesn't live in our complex. I'm really just speechless. I'm so confused and frustrated that I have no real reaction right now. I'll let you know in a few days how things are going.

1 comment:

  1. That is crazy! I hope the next post is good news!

    ReplyDelete