Thursday, August 02, 2012

Update on Zeb

I talked with John this morning and to my surprise the doctor doesn't want to do surgery. He says that since Zeb is so young his leg will heal on it's own and surgery is not needed. Instead the doctor decided to put Zeb in a cast. However, this is not just any cast, since any movement in his hips could cause his femur to shift they have to put him in a body cast! Yes, a cast from under his arms all the way to his toes! His left leg ( the broken one) will be casted but his right leg will be free. It took me a while to process all this. I had tons of questions like...how will I take him to the bathroom? So this morning they put Zeb to sleep, reset his leg and then used an x-ray to make sure it was reset correctly. After that they put him in a cast. When Zeb woke up he looked like this.....

 

John and Zeb hope to return on Sunday if Zeb is doing well in his new cast. In the meantime, the girls and I will be spending lots of time at the pool and playing outside since that will not be happening once Zeb returns. I also will be processing the whole idea that the next 6 weeks Zeb will be in a body cast which means that he can't sit up and we have to rotate him multiple times a day to keep him from getting sores on his body. How will I feed him? Take him to the bathroom? Give him a bath? Ever leave my house? There are lots of things to process before they come home.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment